The upstair’s freezer is getting out of hand and this is the week to take care of it.
1) Pizza shells (leftovers from the babe’s birthday): these will be turned into garlic bread (six cloves of garlic chopped and soaked in oil and butter for a few hours and then spread over the crusts) and bruschetta (3 chopped tomatoes, 3 cloves chopped garlic, 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, LOTS of roughly cracked pepper, 1 cup shredded mozzarella, 3 T. olive oil and 2 T. of balsamic vinegar. Let this sit for a couple of hours at room temp and then grill on flatbread or sliced baguette).
2) Spaghetti sauce: upside down pizza (recipe previously given)
3) Thai chicken soup base: big bowls of chicken soup
4) Wonton wrappers:?
5) Puff pastry
6) Turkey: see below for empanadas
7) Corned beef: ?
8) Sweet potatoes: Pumpkin and sweet potato muffins
9) Brocolli: see spaghetti sauce
10) Pumpkin puree: see sweet potatoes
11) Three old hotdog buns (I think these will go to the compost)
12) Four old hamburger buns (ditto)
13) Smoked salmon (two things-no hurry there): one got eaten on Saturday for breakfast.
14) Salt cod (no hurry there)
15) Frozen bananas (ditto)
16) Pea soup: pretty obvious
Pumpkin muffins (I’ll also use sweet potatoes that I already have mashed in this to make 29 oz.)
Yield: 36 muffins
1 1/2 cups raisins
4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
4 cups white sugar (I’m going to just add 2 1/2 cups of sugar as this is an alarming amount)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup chopped walnuts
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Grease three 12 cup muffin pans, or line with paper muffin liners. Soak raisins in hot water for ten minutes to plump, then drain.
2.In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground cloves. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, pumpkin, and applesauce, until smooth. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly to make a smooth batter. Stir the raisins and walnuts into the batter. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups.
3.Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
I’m just going to wing this recipe as the ones that I’ve found just aren’t quite what I am looking for. These are authentic in NO WAY but they should be tasty.
I’ll take: 2 cups of shredded turkey (cooked), 1/2 chopped small tomato, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. chilli powder, a dash of chipotle, 2 garlic cloves, 1 T. chopped, fresh cilantro and a handful of shredded cheddar. Mix.
Roll-out shortcrust pastry and cut into discs of six inch, diameter. Fill with approx. 2 T. of the turkey mixture, seal and bake until the pastry is browned on top and bottom.